Troy University football coach Larry Blakeney and quarterback Corey Robinson took part in the 56th annual Touchdown Club of Columbus Awards Banquet on February 5.
The Club gives out a number of awards each year including the Sammy Baugh Quarterback Award, the Chic Harley College Football Player of the Year Award, the Archie Griffin Award to the college football Most Valuable Player and several others.
Some of the biggest names in college football history have been honored at their annual banquet.
Coach Blakeney attended with Corey, who was named as one of the top 12 "Players to Watch" for the 2011 season.
Corey told me that he got to meet Kellen Moore from Boise State, Colin Kaepernick from Nevada and Andrew Luck from Stanford, among others.
For Coach Blakeney, the trip to Ohio was just the first trip of the week. After returning to Troy for a couple of days he took the entire family on a ski trip to Utah for some much deserved rest and relaxation.
Things will continue to be busy for Coach Blakeney and the entire Troy football family for the next month. The team will open spring practice on Feb. 23 and will have six practices before spring break, including a scrimmage on March 3.
Following the break, the team will get back to work on March 14 and have nine more practice sessions, including a pair of scrimmages. The team will scrimmage in Phenix City on Saturday, March 18, and will conclude spring drills with the annual T-Day game on March 26.
Things won't slow much during the first weeks of April. On the 16th the Troy University Board of Trustees will host the Larry Blakeney Appreciation Roast to celebrate his 20 years at Troy University.
The event will be held at the Renaissance Hotel in Montgomery and will start with a reception at 5:30 p.m. followed by the Roast, which will start at 6:30 p.m.
There are several ways in which Troy fans and friends can get involved in what promises to be a memorable evening. Here is a list of the levels and what each includes.
- Platinum Contributor ($10,000) - Receives program recognition as well as two reserved tables (10 seats each) for the reception, dinner and roast.
- Gold Contributor ($5,000) - Receives program recognition as well as one reserved table (10 seats) for the reception, dinner and roast.
- Silver Contributor ($2,500) - Receives program recognition and six tickets for the reception, dinner and roast.
- Bronze Contributor ($1,500) - Receives program recognition as well as four tickets for the reception, dinner and roast.
- Reserved Table ($1,000) - Receives 10 seats for the reception, dinner and roast.
- Individual Benefactor ($50) - Receives one ticket for the reception, dinner and roast.
On Monday, April 18, Coach Blakeney will host the annual Larry Blakeney Golf Tournament. Look for more information on that event in the coming weeks or call 334-670-3689 for information.
Finally on the football front, March 1 is the day when the Sun Belt Conference will announce the 2011 football schedules. We have until then to come up with a slogan for the 2011 season to follow the "Drive for Five" in 2010. The first suggestion I heard was "Repeat Three-peat" but I am sure that there are some other great ideas floating around out there.
Email me and let me know if you have an idea for the 2011 slogan.