"If you're a college footbal fan, you have to love the way these guys play the game," Hornung said, "doing whatever the coach asks them to do to help their team win games. And I like the fact that we are recognizing guys from across the country and at schools that don't always get the recognition."
The weekly award honorees highlight elite performances from the previous week in college football that display the same versatility on the field as the legendary Paul Hornung.
Week One Honorees
- East Carolina's Dwayne Harris finished his day with seven receptions for 121 yards and two touchdowns. He also added six yards rushing on two carries along with 47 return yards in team's dramatic last second win over Tulsa 51-49.
- Starting cornerback with four tackles, Rutgers' Brandon Bing also blocked two punts, including one that was returned for a touchdown, in Rutgers' 31-0 victory over Norfolk State.
- Tulsa's Demaris Johnson recorded 299 all purpose yards rushing, catching, returning punts and kickoffs in Golden Hurricane heartbreaking loss to East Carolina 51-49. He recorded five kickoff returns for 151 yards.
- Boise State's Austin Pettisscored the game-winning touchdown against Virginia Tech in Boise State's last minute, dramatic, BCS blockbuster 33-30 win in front of 86,587 fans at FedEx Field. Pettis also blocked a punt, returned a punt and caught TD pass early in the game as Boise stunned the Hokies with 17-0 first quarter lead.
- Oregon's Kenjon Barner ran for 147 yards and four touchdowns and had a 60-yard touchdown reception in a 72-0 win over New Mexico. He finished with 225 all-purpose yards. All five of his scores came in the first half.
- Kentucky's Randall Cobbregistered 150 all-purpose yards in a 23-16 win over rival Louisville. Cobb had four carries for 80 yards and a touchdown, threw a 19-yard pass completion, had 2 kick returns for 59 yards and a punt return. Cobb missed part of the game while getting an IV in the lockerroom.
- LSU's Patrick Petersonset a school record with 257 return yards, including an 87-yard punt return for a touchdown. The starting cornerback notched five solo tackles in 30-24 win over North Carolina at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta.
- Troy's Jerrel Jerniganregistered193 yards in total offense running, catching and returning punts and kickoffs, including one rushing touchdown as Troy defeated Bowling Green 30-27 on last second field goal.
- In 30-21 win over Oregon State in Cowboys Stadium, TCU's Jeremy Kerley gained 196 all-purpose yards on six catches for 49 yards and a touchdown, five kick returns for 105 yards and three punt returns for 42 yards. He also set up touchdown drive with a 34-yard punt return.